Steam - unregistering a game Page 1 out of 2

I sold a game which I had bought new, and had to register on Steam.From the research I have done on the internet, I get the impression that you can NOT unregister your games from Steam.

Can anyone provide more input or information on this for me?

Cheers.

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 10, 2011, 11:16 am

you need to pass your steam account onto the person you sold the game to.
Which is why lots of people create a steam account for each steam game they have.

Gamer_segadc, Jul 10, 2011, 11:23 am

Gee that seems like a stupid idea to me.Wish I'd known that earlier.

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 10, 2011, 1:16 pm

What Sega said. New account for each game.

Otherwise the new buyer could get the key transferred to their account. But that's a big hassle. Had that problem with a steam game bought from harvey norman, someone had gone in and got the key or had already returned it once they got what they wanted....pricks tried everything not to refund my money.

Gamer_speedwayfan1, Jul 10, 2011, 1:33 pm

Well, knowledge is power.I have 3 games loaded onto my account, if I'd known that's how it worked....wouldn't have done it.Lesson learned I guess.

As for Harvey Norman - don't get me started with them!I agree - pricks indeed.

Thanks for the info.

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 10, 2011, 2:28 pm

hope I never have to do this, got over 250 games on mine :x!!

Gamer_willfam, Jul 10, 2011, 3:30 pm

I have queried STEAM several time about unregistering a game and no luck - look like to pay and keep. Wish I had thought of Segadc idea. I have so many games registered which I no longer play that I am thinking of putting my STEAM hard drive up for sale and starting again.

Gamer_mrploppy, Jul 10, 2011, 7:12 pm

I think it's totally wrong how they do it.They could at least be up front and honest so you know.Bunch of arseholes. Won't be registering anymore games with them...and probably removing it from my PC altogether after this.

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 10, 2011, 10:55 pm

Steam constantly has fantastic sales with entire publishers collections for under $100. No you can't unregister a game and sell it on, big deal. The massive sales more than make up for this. If they let people buy, play, then re-sell, people would never buy new games and games companies wouldn't make any money.

Gamer_willfam, Jul 11, 2011, 8:28 am

Aside from the fact that it is against the Steam subscriber agreement.
"You agree that you are personally responsible for the use of your password and Account and for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your log-in name and password. You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account."Excerpt from said agreement.
About 18mths ago I was reading in Steam's forums where accounts being sold on e-bay were then disabled/banned.

Gamer_axels11, Jul 11, 2011, 10:03 am

@ willfam - I didn't purchase the game in question on Steam, so they shouldn't deny my right to sell it on.

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 14, 2011, 2:24 pm

The game uses steamworks protection. They can and did deny you the right to sell it on after you used it. Deal with it.

Gamer_willfam, Jul 14, 2011, 9:20 pm

I was able to gift a copy of halflife 2 to a friend- however that may be because I had 2 versions of it after I bought Orange Box.

Gamer_apollo11, Jul 15, 2011, 2:37 pm

Even I like Steam, and I use linux.

Gamer_cybertao, Jul 15, 2011, 4:21 pm

ROFLMAO!!!

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 17, 2011, 11:32 pm

I did deal with it.And won.You deal with that.

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 17, 2011, 11:34 pm

Go on, let us in on it.Did you go back to the retail store and make a scene until they gave you what you want to GTFO?

Gamer_cybertao, Jul 18, 2011, 4:58 am

Not going to reveal the details, apart from there were no toys thrown, no tears, no tantrums.And no need to 'GTFO' it.Just resolution, my way.

Gamer_jadzia, Jul 18, 2011, 7:13 am

Ah, you cheated the system.

Gamer_cybertao, Jul 18, 2011, 7:46 am

Lol @ this whole thread.

" I didn't purchase the game in question on Steam, so they shouldn't deny my right to sell it on". - HAAHAHAHAHA

Ahh every Steam game at retail has "Steam required for activation" etc etc etc all over the box. I love threads where it is everyone elses fault but your own.....

Gamer_cube_guy, Jul 18, 2011, 8:53 am

sponsored links

Leave a comment No registration required

Comment required
Your nickname optional
You are not a robot, are you?

Enter what you see above required